Monday, November 21, 2011

The Wait Begins

Thank you so much for all your prayers. Despite taking off in a blizzard in Moscow, we made it home safely! It's wonderful being home with Colvin and Georgia again. The hard part is that now it feels like someone is missing - Ella. We put up our Christmas tree tonight, and I wish she was here to share it with us. We knew this second wait would be harder since we would know her and miss her. And it is hard.

On our last day with Ella, I had our interpreter sit next to us and tell her, "Mommy and Daddy will have to go away soon, and it will seem like we're gone for a very long time. But we promise we'll be back. And the next time, you'll get to come home with us and meet your brother and sister. So don't worry. We'll be back. We love you, and we'll be thinking about you every day." It's hard to know how much of that a just-turned-two-year-old can understand, but I hope she understood a little. My biggest fear is that she thinks we didn't want her.

Ugh, it's gonna be a long few months.

Also, you may have noticed I'm calling her Ella. All this time I was calling her by what I thought was her alias, Elvira. We thought her real name was Ella. Well, turns out Elvira (El-veer-a in Russian) is her real name, and Ella is her nickname! So since her real name was already out there, I figured there was no point maintaining the charade. We are naming her Ella, which won't even seem like a change to her since that's what she is already called. Ella means light, and her middle name will be Rebecca, which means 'to bind'. Rebecca was the name of Ryan's mom's Russian grandma, so that makes it even more perfect. So the cat's out of the bag - Ella Rebecca it is!

13 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine how hard this wait will be for you but I am praying for you! I LOVE her name! I am so excited for you to go back for your little princess!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name Ella! (And it makes me laugh because as we have been praying for her and talking about her over the past few months, I've always referred to her as Elle... I just couldn't get into the "vira!"

    Praying for a quick turnaround so you can bring her home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes. How sweet :) I can't wait to meet her! So glad you are back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful name, I know it must of been so so hard to leave, praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my I am sure that the wait will be tough I will be praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! She will be home with you before you know it! And Ella is a beautiful name, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot imagine the emotions that go with having to wait for her further. Praying God carries you through and comforts her for you while you're apart. And I think her name is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot even imagine how hard the wait is for you. She is beautiful and so is her name. Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying that the time flies for all of you. Her name is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww Ella is such a pretty name! I doubt she thinks you didn't want her - and I wouldn't be surprised if she understood the message!! What a sweetie pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! I have tears. I pray that this time apart goes quickly for all of you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the time flies for all of you and she is finally home with you really soon.

    ReplyDelete